CBSE CLASS VI CIVICS CHAPTER 5
CLASS VI CIVICS CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 5: – PANCHAYATI RAJ
Meaning of Panchayati Raj
The Panchayati Raj is a three – tier system which includes the Gram Panchayat at Village level, the Janpad Panchayat or the Panchayati Samiti at the block level and the District Panchayat or the Zila Parishad at the district level.
This is a process through which people in the rural areas participate in their own government.
The Gram Sabha
- It is the meeting of all adults who live in the area covered by a Panchayat.
- A Panchayat may include one village or a few villages.
Functions of Gram Sabha
- It elects the representatives who form the Gram Panchayat. It also elects the Sarpanch or the village headman or Mukhiya.
- It discusses important matters and problems of the village.
- It makes the Gram Panchayat accountable.
- It passes the annual budget of the Panchayat.
- It prevents the Panchayat from doing wrong things.
- It can pass a vote of no confidence against any member of the Gram Panchayat.
The Gram Panchayat
- It is an elected body of the villagers. It implements the decisions taken by the Gram Sabha.
- Every Panchayat is divided into smaller areas, called wards.
- Each ward elects a representative who is known as the Ward Member or Panch.
- The members of the Gram Sabha directly elect a Sarpanch.
Functions of Gram Panchayat
- It looks after the construction and maintenance of water sources, roads, drainage and other common property resources.
- It imposes and collects taxes.
- It implements government programmes related to employment generation and poverty alleviation.
- It provides health and sanitation facilities.
- It controls the spread of diseases by vaccination.
- It promotes primary education in the village.
- It maintains records of births and deaths in the village.
Source of Income of Gram Panchayat
- It obtains funds from the collection of taxes on houses, markets, fairs etc.
- It receives government scheme funds through various department of government.
- It also receives donation for community works etc.
Link Between Gram Sabha and Gram Panchayat
- The Gram Sabha elects the members of the Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Panchayat is responsible to the Gram Sabha.
- In a Gram Sabha, all plans for the working of the Gram Panchayat are placed before the people.
- The Gram Sabha prevents the Panchayat from doing wrong things.
- The Gram Panchayat has a secretary who is also the secretary of the Gram Sabha.
Difference Between Gram Sabha and Gram Panchayat
- The Gram Sabha acts as a legislative body whereas the Gram Panchayat is an executive body at the village level.
- All the adult members of the Panchayat form the Gram Sabha while elected representatives of Gram Sabha form the Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Sabha takes decisions and the Gram Panchayat implements them.
- The minimum age for the membership of the Gram Sabha is 18 years and 21 years for the Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Sabha reviews the work of Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Sabha can pass a vote of no confidence against inefficient members of the Gram Panchayat.
The Nyaya Panchayat
- It is a judicial wing of the Panchayati Raj System at village level.
- It hears and decides minor civil and criminal cases.
- It can only fine and punish the guilty within certain limits but cannot send a person to jail.
- The main purpose of the Nyaya Panchayat is to provide speedy justice at the minimum expenses.
The Panchayat Samiti
- The Panchayati Samiti has elected members.
- It is elected for five years.
- The Block Development Officer (BDO) acts as the secretary of Panchayati Samiti.
Functions of Panchayati Samiti
- It supervises the working of the Gram Panchayats in a block.
- It makes plans for the development of the whole block.
- It arranges funds from the government for the development programmes.
- It is the highest governing body under the Panchayati Raj System.
- It works at district level.
- The people of a district directly elect the members of the Zila Parishad for a term of five years.
- District Magistrate in the Chief Executive Officer of the Zila Parishad.
Functions of Zila Parishad
- It supervises the working of the Panchayati Samitis, the Gram Panchayats and the projects under the Five-Year Plans.
- It regulates money distribution among all the Gram Panchayat with the help of Panchayat Samiti.
- It makes development plans at the district level.
- It advises the state government on the working of the Panchayati Raj System.